Te Hiku Hauora awards three tertiary health scholarships and one sports award per year to successful applicants.
The scholarships support the aims and aspirations of Te Hiku Hauora by promoting and assisting the descendants of the Iwi of Te Hiku to pursue health sector careers.
Growing our own health professionals will ensure Te Hiku services are increasingly provided by Te Hiku people and strengthen succession planning across generations. See web site for further information www.tehikuhauora.nz.
Applications for the following 2018 scholarships are now open:
1. Health Studies: in any health field (one of $5,000)
2. Medicine: Muriwai Popata scholarship for medicine - ($10,000)
3. Dentistry: Zarella (Tere) Gravenor scholarship for Dentistry - ($10,000)
Note that there are separate Application forms for each of these scholarships – select the appropriate one.
Eligibility criteria – applicants must:
4. Whakapapa to a Te Hiku Iwi.
5. Be enrolled at a NZ Tertiary Institute for 2018, or awaiting confirmation of enrolment.
6. Be enrolled for full-time study.
7. Have proven academic ability.
8. Complete the attached application form and submit by the closing date.
9. Provide all the supporting documentation requested in the application.
10. Must agree to your scholarship details and photo being published in local papers, and Te Hiku Hauora publications and website.
11. Are required to complete a short report, including results, at the completion end of the year for which you have received the scholarship. A template will be provided.
12. Note that if for any reason you withdraw from studies you must advise Te Hiku Hauora as soon as possible as you will not be eligible to receive the scholarship and the funds must be returned.
13. There is an expectation that you will contribute to Te Hiku Hauora during study period through one of the following:
• University holiday work for Te Hiku Hauora
• Participate in Te Hiku Hauora promotional activities such as health expo/ functions/ other appropriate events and/or input into organisational strategies
• Attendance and presentation at the Annual Board luncheon
14. Applications for scholarships are now open.
15. Application forms are available online at www.tehikuhauora.nz or they can be requested from Te Hiku Hauora (see details on page 3).
16. Applications close at 4pm, Friday 17th November 2017
17. Based on the information provided in your application, applicants will be short-listed. All will be notified of the shortlist outcome by the 24th November 2017.
18. Those short-listed are required to attend an interview at Kaitaia (up to one-hour) with a selection panel convened for this purpose. Requests to be interviewed by way of a telephone conference call or Skype will be considered.
19. Interviews will be held during the first two weeks of December; support people are welcome to attend.
20. All those interviewed will be notified of the panel’s decision within two weeks of their interview.
21. All successful recipients are expected to attend a short function in February 2018 to receive their Scholarship.
22. A letter of confirmation will be sent with full details of the scholarship being awarded, and the time, date and venue for the presentation of the award.
The following documents are required as part of the application:
23. The Te Hiku Hauora scholarship application form.
24. Two current letters of support/reference;
a. One from a Te Hiku Iwi verifying your affiliation and their support for your application, and be signed by either the chairperson or the secretary.
b. One from your current school, tertiary institute (whichever is applicable) attesting to your suitability for the scholarship.
25. Confirmation of your enrolment in a course of study for 2018 from your tertiary institution.
26. A copy of your most recent record of academic achievement e.g. if a school leaver 2016/2017 NCEA, Cambridge, or University/tertiary achievement results (as applicable).
27. A current photograph of you for publicity purposes.
Please follow the application instructions; only use the form provided and do not send separate CVs or copies of other documents that are not requested.
Te Hiku Hauora congratulates you on your achievements to date and your desire to gain health qualifications in at a tertiary level. We look forward to receiving your scholarship application.
All applications must reach Te Hiku Hauora at Private Bag 2010, Kaitaia 0410 or
49 Redan Rd, Kaitaia or email to: email@example.com by 4pm, Friday 17th November 2017.
For any scholarship queries please contact:
Jill Edwards- Administration Manager HR/ QA
Phone (09) 408 4024 EXT: 403
Te Hiku Hauora Sports Award
The Te Hiku Hauora Sports Award is one-off support for individual sports success and achievement.
The purpose of the Te Hiku Hauora Sports Award is to recognise and acknowledge the talent of Te Hiku sports people and support their potential to promote health.
1. Must whakapapa to a Te Hiku iwi.
2. May be an individual of any age who is currently excelling in sport and has the potential to develop further.
Expectations of award winner
· Must provide a brief written report within one month of receiving the payment.
· Provide any media coverage pertaining to their sports achievement and or the award.
· Applications will open on 1st February and close on 30th April each year
· The official application must be used
· The Board will consider the written applications and make a decision